Friday 16 January 2015

Projects in the pipeline and some Pi-Top updatement

Hi,

Just a quick update with some project ideas I have, and some updates on how the Pi-Laptop is shaping up.

I've nearly finished the laptop now, I'm just working on the case. The first test bottom layer was laser cut today, and it works great. I'm cutting the tests out of cardboard, because it's free, quick and I had loads laying around from Christmas. I got the remaining electrical bits given to me for Christmas, so a post will follow later with the part 1 build details, which will handle everything electrical and the design process for the case.

I've got a few more project ideas in the pipeline:

  • A wearable - most likely a smartwatch, which I've been chatting about with some nice people over at the Pimoroni forums
  • A timer-in-a-tin - probably using the Adafruit Gemma, a couple of pushbuttons and a Neopixel RGB LED. I thought it'd be fun to create a really, really small project. I've been doing lots of big ones lately, and so it's time for a small (and quick!) project, as my patience is running out! This will be a timer for those times where you don't need a specific value, for example when you only want to know roughly how long 'till your egg's done, and not when you need to have a precise lap time for a running race or something. It'll have small pushbuttons round the edge, each of which will trigger a different time (30s/1min/2min/5min/10min). The LED will cycle through a spectrum (For example, red = start, green = finish. The more green the hue of the led gets, the closer the timer is to finishing), and flash when the time's up. It'll have a teensy LiPo battery, and an on-off switch.
  • A laser cutter from an inkjet printer. Now, there are a couple of articles about this on the internet. Mainly where someone enthusiastic like me says 'Why not use an old inkjet to make a laser cutter?! and some other, more experienced peoples reply with 'No, that's impossible, don't waste your time'. I think that I'm going to give it a go, starting with something really simple not involving lasers, and move onwards and upwards (or just fall crashing down) as I go on. There'll always be a use for an old inkjet printer, so I figure I have little to lose.
  • A RasPi I2C circuit to automatically control model train signals based on the locations of the trains themselves
I'll update when I've done these projects and as I progress with them.

Have fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment